FRAME will host a two-day Virtual Fall Conference on Wednesday, September 30 and Thursday, October 1. The subject will be “Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in French and North American Museums.” The two daily sessions will be held as webinars via Zoom, and each will have simultaneous interpretation in both English and French.
William Beekman and Anne-Solène Rolland, FRAME Co-Presidents, will provide opening remarks about what FRAME has been accomplished this year. Susan Talbott, Expert Director for FRAME in North America, and Pierre Provoyeur, Expert Director for FRAME in France will moderate the Panel Discussion and the Q&A sessions. Marguerite d’Aprile Quigley and Emilie Vanhaesebroucke, the Executive Directors of FRAME, will serve as co-hosts for the conference.
September 30, from 11:00 a.m. to 1: 00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time – Featuring Keynote Addresses by Dr. Lowery Stokes Sims, Independent Curator and Founding Board Member, ArtTable; and Jean-François Chougnet, President of MUCEM. They will each share their experiences and thoughts on DEI in American and French Museums respectively. A Q&A session will follow.
October 1, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time – Panel Discussion on how FRAME museums address DEI in North America and France, and what FRAME can do to help implement improvements in the future. A Q&A session will follow afterward.
We are grateful to the seven FRAME members who will participate in this discussion:
- Gary Tinterow, Director, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Valerie Cassell Oliver, Curator of Modern & Contemporary Art, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond
- Diva Zumaya, Assistant Curator of European Paintings & Sculpture, LACMA, Los Angeles
- Moridja Kitenge Banza, Educational Programs Officer for World Cultures and Togetherness, Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal
- Laurent Védrine, Director and Curator in chief, Musée d’Aquitaine, Bordeaux
- Sophie Onimus-Carrias, Curator in chief and Head of the Education Department, Musée des Beaux-Arts, Lyon
- Mathilde Schneider, Director and Curator of the Musée des Antiquités et of the Musée d’Histoire naturelle, Pôle Beauvoisine, Rouen
The Virtual Fall Conference is open to FRAME members by invitation only. In order to have access to the conference, members must preregister. Registration opens on September 11. FRAME will not be recording the keynote addresses or the panel discussion.
This conference replaces the 2020 Annual Fall Conference of our network, originally scheduled to be in Marseille on the same dates. Due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of international travel, the Marseille Annual Fall Conference has been postponed to 2021.